Are you a student, teacher, or administrator that wants to start a chapter at your school?
Follow these easy steps:
- You must first get approval to start an Educators Rising California chapter from the school administrator in charge of clubs at your school.
- Find a teacher leader/advisor for the chapter
- Contact Pilar Comparan at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a simple registration form.
- Register your chapter with Educators Rising through the virtual campus. For more information about Educators Rising and the virtual campus, please download the Teacher Leader Guide by clicking the button on the left of this page.
What to Do Next…
Take a look at the Chapter Starter Kit.
- Organize a plan for telling students at your school about your Educators Rising California chapter. The plan could include:
- Learning about Educators Rising California goals and objectives.
- Informing teachers and students at your school about the benefits of a chapter.
- Planning a membership drive.
- Publicizing the organization of a chapter.
- Initiate a membership drive by:
- Requesting help from your school to identify interested students.
- Writing articles and advertising in school and community publications and starting a Facebook or Twitter page for your chapter.
- Posting and distributing flyers and posters.
- Encouraging teachers to have bulletin board displays in their classrooms.
- Plan and publicize your first chapter meeting.
Steps for holding a successful 1st Chapter Meeting
- For this meeting, find a temporary club secretary to take minutes until Chapter roles are defined.
- Students may be given a sign-in sheet requesting information for a chapter roster (name, address, phone, parents’ names, and email address).
- To start the meeting, have each student introduce him or herself. In addition to giving their names, students should share something interesting about themselves and why they are interested in Educators Rising California.
- Explain the purpose of your chapter and hand out introductory information.
Have a discussion about the following:
- Chapter officers, nominations and election procedures
- Chapter membership standards and requirements
- Expected participation and commitment of members
- Chapter programs and activities